replace CMOS battery holder broken

your computer  show error messages related to time and date options? or you are receiving a message CMOS Read Error, CMOS checksum error, or CMOS Battery Failure? All these are indications that it is time to change the CMOS battery.

 Some CMOS batteries may be held down by a metal clip or bar. This clip just holds the battery in place and the battery can still be removed by sliding it under the clip.

But, I have accidentally broken the clip that holds the battery down while trying to change it. I'm wondering what are my options. I'm thinking I can safely keep the battery in place with a small quantity of hot glue, but that clip not serve as the cathode. the simplest way for me to fix this with soldering on the back side of motherboard.


Then solder the wires, Problems solved. The safest way to solder it without creating too much heat (causing damage) is to 'tin' the area you are going to solder the wire to with a small amount of solder and do the same for the wire.

1 comment:

  1. I had to solder in a battery (used 2 AA's!) pack my self. The old battery had solder tabs and was soldered in. Some traces got pulled up after the new installation due to lack of a strain relief. I used a old jumper pin and a ground instead. Works like a champ!
    Today I am changing out a battery in an emachine but the holder is under a metal flange used to hold the CDROM drive and floppy. I can barely see the holder. It looks like they built the metal case around the motherboard itself! They put the battery holder in the worst place possible...

    ReplyDelete